HEART SHAPED SWISS ROLL
Mother's Day is coming up soon and I’m pretty sure you're all preparing something wonderful for your mothers. I lost my mom when I was a kid, so unfortunately I don't get to give mother's day gifts. But if she was here, I would have made this for her.
It's a favorite recipe of mine, actually a Swiss roll, but I felt like turning it in to a layered heart shaped cake instead. My mom would have loved this. She baked a lot herself and I know she would have loved to know how much I enjoy baking too. Well, maybe she knows.
1. Measure out a piece of carton ca. 20 x 20 cm, fold it and cut out "half" a heart from it.
2. Make you Swiss roll mix and spread onto a baking tray 30 x 40 cm.
3. Make your filling
4. When the cake has cooled, cut out three hearts by using the heart shaped piece of carton. (Make one heart in two pieces, to make it fit)
5. Cover a plate with three sheets of baking paper. Place the first cake layer here. The sheets can overlay, but they should not reach more than to the middle of the plate.
6. Take almost 1/4 of you filling and spread on layer one. Place layer two on top of that and add another 1/4 of the filling here.
7 Place the last layer (i used the two halves here) on top of that and spread what's left of the cream filling, covering top and sides.
8. And you’re done! Now gently pull out the baking sheets from each side. You can use a fork at the bottom to lightly hold back the cake, when you pull out the sheets. Decorate your cake with strawberries or raspberries as you wish.
Have fun making your mother's day gifts.